We're recruiting a professional photographer to capture portraits of ~15 volunteer attorneys who serve at our mobile legal aid desks throughout NYC and ~15 clients whose lives have been impacted by that service. S/he will help craft an uplifting visual story about the mutual transformation of volunteer attorneys and clients through service and relationship. We anticipate 3-4 shoots throughout October 2016 (see proposed dates below) and approximately 10 hours of editing. Deliverables are due November 4, 2016.
OHLS was founded in 2009 by a group of Christian attorneys who felt God calling them to use their legal skills to serve the city. Recognizing that many problems faced by the poor and the oppressed could be solved by an attorney, the group began going to an East Village soup kitchen to provide legal services.
Since then, we’ve grown dramatically in response to high demand from other soup kitchens and shelters across the city. Currently, we serve approximately 500 low-income New Yorkers annually at eight partner locations throughout the city, including the Bowery Mission, NYC Rescue Mission, and the Father’s Heart. Using the law, OHLS can help the homeless obtain housing, the unemployed obtain a fair chance to work, re-entering citizens to move beyond crippling debt, and more.
We’ve trained hundreds of practicing attorneys in basic poverty law so they can serve the city with their legal skills. Following the model of our founders, we do not wait for clients to find us, but we go directly to where we’re needed the most. You can find our dedicated volunteers out in bad weather, sitting under train overpasses and chatting with homeless people right where they live.
Our goal is that our 2016 year-end campaign, our second visual campaign, will encourage people in our community and remind them that despite the division, injustice and brokenness in the 2016 news cycles, there are still compassionate people laboring away to deliver justice to those in need. A gifted professional photographer/storyteller is essential.
- A photographer who will work with OHLS over 3-4 days to shoot a series of volunteer and client portraits in and around our office in East Harlem (date TBD), the Father’s Heart in East Village on October 8, the Relief Bus in East Harlem on September 17 or October 15, and/or at all Angels’ Church on the Upper West Side on October 18.
- A set of professionally edited, high-resolution images delivered in JPEG or TIFF format.
- Distribution of Prep Materials
- Director of Development & Communications provides background on and goals for the photos (intended usage & number of photos needed).
- Director of Development & Communications and Volunteer agree upon a work plan including: shoot location, dates, length of shoot and materials needed.
- Photo Shoots in October 2016: Volunteer directs photo shoots on agreed upon dates and times.
- Editing: Volunteer edits and color corrects the photos.
- Presentation of Deliverables by November 4: Volunteer delivers high-resolution images.
If interested, please contact Fay Sardjono, Director of Development & Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.