Our goal is to reach $25,000 with 60 new members of the "Justice Circle" by October 20, 2017. Each new monthly donor will help us get closer to funding all 24 legal aid desks at Father's Heart and The Relief Bus for 2018.
Commit to Justice this Fall
Open Hands will begin a new initiative to fund two of our legal aid desks for 2018. Our goal is to kick off the fall season by raising $25,000 to fund all 24 legal aid desks for the year at Father's Heart Ministries and The Relief Bus. If 60 new donors join our "Justice Circle" monthly giving program by October 20th, we will hit this goal in five weeks. I hope that you will be able to join us in this effort. To sign up for our monthly giving program now, click here!
We had a great time at our summer social last month and each of our legal aid desks. Our faithful volunteers had the opportunity to win ice cream from Alphabet Scoop by using all of the knowledge they have obtained through the "Stay Tuned, Stay Informed" emails that Jean Soo sends about specific legal matters. We also had the opportunity to head down to Pier 46 to watch a movie in the park and enjoy a happy hour social at M1-5. Make sure to check out the pictures on our Facebook page!
Immigration Law Volunteer Training - Save the Date!
Join us on Monday, September 25th at 7:00pm for a special training on immigration law. The session will end at 9:00pm and take place at the New York City Rescue Mission located at 90 Lafayette Street on the 6th floor. A light dinner will be served. Click here to register.
Join our Young Professionals Network!
Open Hands invites you to join our YPN. Come fellowship with like-minded NYC young professionals at our upcoming socials, happy hours and other events. We also volunteer at each of the legal aid desks throughout the city. Stay tuned for more details about our fall kick-off event. For more information or to join our mail listing to receive updates, click here.
SAVE THE DATE!
On Friday, August 4th join us at Pier 46 in Greenwich Village to watch the movie, SING! Friends and family are welcome to join. The movie begins at 8:30pm so make sure to arrive at 8pm to meet the group and BYOB (bring your own blanket). Click here to RSVP!
Then join us again on Thursday, August 24th for a Happy Hour get-together at M1-5. Come enjoy appetizers as you mingle with fellow Open Hands Volunteers. Lite bites will be served and festivities will begin at 7pm! M1-5 is located at 52 Walker Street in NYC! Click here to RSVP!
Please take a look at the position we have open and share with friends!
We are seeking an experienced, committed Development and Communications Director with a passion for justice to oversee our fundraising and communications strategies
DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Open Hands Legal Services, a Christian, legal services, non-profit organization, is seeking applicants for the part-time position of Development and Communications Director. Open Hands’ mission is to faithfully respond to God’s call to seek justice and defend the rights of the poor by providing free legal services to low-income New Yorkers.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development and Communications Director is responsible for all fundraising, development and communication activities. S/he serves as a key team member and active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Open Hands. This position will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for cultivating philanthropic support of Open Hands and will build Open Hands’ visibility, impact and financial resources.
The successful candidate is someone who thinks strategically and engages his or her work with flexibility, excellence and the highest standards. S/he is a professing Christian who is deeply committed to Open Hands’ mission and values and acts always as an ambassador of our work.
Duties of the Development and Communications Director
The Development and Communications Director will have an evolving role dependent on the needs of the organization. Responsibilities include the following:
Donor Development and Fundraising
- Enhance overarching strategy for resource development to methods that will increase foundation and corporate partnerships, individual giving and in-kind donations.
- In conjunction with Board of Directors and Executive Director, establish yearly fundraising target amounts and work to achieve those goals.
- Oversee and execute all fundraising activities, including grant research and writing, corporate sponsorships, in-kind donations, the annual benefit and other charitable events.
- Cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and actively cultivate lower level donors to increase giving levels.
- Implement and execute a high-quality donor experience through correspondence, donor engagement, volunteer engagement, mailings and acknowledgements.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Young Professionals Network and Board of Directors to execute all fundraising events, including the annual Spring Benefit.
- Identify and cultivate foundation grantors and corporate sponsors.
- Research and submit grant requests which would benefit and enhance the ministry's programs.
- Manage an organized filing system of past and future grants and grant reports.
- Develop and lead communications and public relations strategies to promote Open Hands’ key messages to funders and the public.
- ·Create, design and distribute regular e-newsletters and other regular communications to Open Hands’ funders and the public.
- Design, implement and analyze a social media and web-presence plan as well as website content.
- Believe in the Apostles’ Creed and attend a Christian church.
- Bachelor's Degree (advanced degree preferred).
- An entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm for working in an expanding non-profit organization.
- 5+ years of development experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Strategic and creative leader and self-starter.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience with web development, HTML newsletters, graphic design, and desktop publishing.
- Sense of urgency and passion for Open Hands’ mission and vision.
- This position will start as a part-time role (20 - 32 hours/week) with the possibility of moving to a full-time position.
- This position requires evening and weekend meetings and full commitment and support to the Open Hands Legal Services team and community.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development and Communications Director Application” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.
November 29, 2016 is #GivingTuesday, a holiday that kicks off the giving season using the power of social media! After an eventful year, what a welcome holiday. It's time to use our newsfeeds to spread some cheer!
An anonymous donor is challenging our community to raise $10,000 on #GivingTuesday. If and only if we reach that goal on November 29, they'll make a $10,000 gift as well.
Here's how to take part in the growing #GivingTuesday tradition and help us raise $20,000!
LEARN. Take a look at our year-end campaign and video.
GIVE. Any amount is appreciated and will get us closer to our goal*!
SHARE. Post our campaign on social media, telling friends about why you support Open Hands and inviting them to join you. Tag Open Hands on Facebook and Twitter and use the hashtags #WhyIGive and #GivingTuesday.
CELEBRATE. Watch your joy and generosity become contagious!
Thank you and happy #GivingTuesday!
* If giving by check, let us know at email@example.com so we can count your gift toward the match.