PART-TIME STAFF ATTORNEY
Open Hands Legal Services seeks a highly dedicated attorney with a passion to provide direct legal services to the underserved.
Open Hands’ vision is to transform all lives through the power of justice and hope. Our mission is to uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed in New York City. We bring free legal services directly to community members at host non-profit organizations throughout the city. Through on-site legal assistance and advocacy, we help individuals to break down the legal barriers they face and empower them to flourish. More information about us is available at www.openhandslegalservices.org.
Under the supervision of Open Hands Legal Services’ Legal Director, the Staff Attorney will oversee regular Legal Aid Desks where he or she will supervise volunteers and provide legal counsel, advice, and limited representation to low-income individuals. We provide assistance in civil legal matters including family law, housing, immigration, employment, reentry and more. The Staff Attorney will also participate in Open Hands’ Know Your Rights presentations and participate in community workshops as needed. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to Open Hands’ mission and values and act as an ambassador of our work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Conducting client intake and follow-up, performing legal research, and liaising with opposing counsel
● Drafting legal memoranda and advocacy letters
● Reviewing and preparing court forms and other documents
● Inputting and maintaining detailed records in a case management system
● Thinking creatively to enhance the legal program
● Collaborating and developing strong relationships with colleagues and partner organizations
● Developing in-depth expertise in a relevant area of law while carrying one’s own caseload
Education & Experience
● JD from an accredited law school
● Attorney and member of NY bar in good standing
● Minimum of two years relevant experience practicing civil legal services, particularly in the area of landlord-tenant law, workers rights, public benefits law and/or immigration law
● A second language – especially Spanish– is preferred, but not required
Required Skills & Abilities:
● Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
● Strong written, oral and interpersonal skills
● Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
● Strong leadership skills and ability to supervise teams of volunteers
● Capacity to work both independently and as a team member who responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility
● Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
● Ability to work in diverse environments and demonstrate cultural sensitivity
● Strong entrepreneurial spirit combined with sacrificial service to our clients and team
● Demonstrated concern for the needs and rights of low-income and homeless communities
● Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and good humor
● Ability to travel throughout Manhattan to various Legal Aid Desk locations
● The position is part time, approximately 20 hours per week.
● This position requires evening and weekend meetings and Legal Aid Desks, as well as full commitment and support to the OHLS team and community. (Weekly schedule can be adjusted based on the weekend and evening commitments).
● Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and must be received by July 31, 2019.