Responsibilities The Staff Attorney will oversee regular legal aid desks where he or she will supervise volunteers and provide legal counsel, advice, and representation to low-income individuals facing eviction, termination of public benefits, family law and immigration issues, among other things. The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities will include also case management, litigation and advocacy on behalf of individual clients. Essential duties and responsibilities include: interviewing clients, negotiations with opposing counsel, discovery, motions, and possible appellate work. In addition to carrying their own caseload, the Staff Attorney will work with volunteer attorneys to provide pro bono advocacy and legal services. Other duties may be assigned.
The candidate must have excellent writing, advocacy, communication and organizational skills. Open Hands seeks an attorney with a proven ability to think strategically and creatively about litigation and one that possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and a love for our clients. The ideal candidate is a self-starter that responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility. The ability to take initiative and work independently is critical to this position. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to Open Hands’ mission and values.
• Attorney and member of NY bar in good standing
• Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
• Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience practicing civil legal services, particularly in the area of landlord-tenant law, employment law, public benefits law and/or immigration law.
• Strong writing and analytical skills
• Strong leadership skills and ability to supervise teams of volunteers
• Ability to plan and manage own work
• Proven ability to solve problems independently and creatively
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit
• A second language – especially Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin – is strongly preferred
- Hours: approximately 10 hours/week (subject to a potential increase to 30-40 hours per week)
- This position require Saturday morning and weeknight meetings and full commitment and support to the OHLS team and community.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Start date: October 28, 2013 (can be flexible).
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and two references (including daytime telephone numbers) by e-mail to email@example.com with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.