We're growing! Please take a look at the positions we have available and share with friends.
PARALEGAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Open Hands Legal Services seeks a paralegal to support Open Hands attorneys and staff. Our vision is the transformation of all lives through the power of justice and hope. Our mission is to uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed in New York City. We bring free legal services directly to community members at host non-profit organizations throughout the city and break down the legal barriers to their success, enabling individuals to flourish and embody the full persons they are intended to be. More information about us is available at www.openhandslegalservices.org.
The paralegal will work closely with Open Hands’ staff in the office and at mobile legal aid desks at soup kitchens and shelters across New York City. Legal aid desk assistance involves setting up and breaking down, maintaining supplies, coordinating operation of the Legal Aid Desk, and conducting initial screening of applicants. Other responsibilities include: processing preliminary case information into the case management system; serving as a liaison between attorneys and clients; handling client correspondence; obtaining court files and other documents; maintaining case files; preparing and assembling court papers; conducting client interviews; making field visits and other duties as assigned. The paralegal may also draft legal memoranda, assist with case preparation, prepare written reports and memoranda, serve subpoenas and other legal documents.
The ideal candidate possesses an entrepreneurial and sacrificial spirit, a deep love for our clients and a demonstrated commitment to Open Hands’ mission and values. S/he is a self-starter and responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility. The ability to handle a high volume of cases and take initiative is critical to this position.
• Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
• Strong writing, verbal, organizational and computer skills
• Proven ability to solve problems independently and creatively
• Strong interpersonal and advocacy skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations in a sensitive and professional manner
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit combined with sacrificial service to our clients and team
• A second language – especially Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin – is strongly preferred
• This a full-time position which requires Saturday morning and weeknight meetings throughout New York City.
• Salary commensurate with experience
How to apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Paralegal” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and must be received by February 26, 2016.
LAW STUDENT INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Open Hands Legal Services offers law student internships throughout the year. Our vision is the transformation of all lives through the power of justice and hope. Our mission is to uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed in New York City. We bring free legal services directly to community members at host non-profit organizations throughout the city and break down the legal barriers to their success, enabling individuals to flourish and embody the full persons they are intended to be. More information about us is available at www.openhandslegalservices.org.
The intern will work with Open Hands to provide Christ-centered, holistic legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The intern will conduct legal research, regular client intake and, under attorney supervision, will provide clients with legal advice in areas relating to landlord-tenant law, consumer law, family law, and re-entry, among other things.
The applicant should either be enrolled in law school or have already graduated. S/he must have an interest in social justice and legal issues, and serving low-income New Yorkers in a fast-pasted and energetic start-up environment. S/he should have excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills and be responsible, flexible and hard-working.
• Interns are expected to work a minimum of 10 hours per week (Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday) over a 10 to 12-week internship period.
• Open Hands' internship program provides students with a rich learning experience, but does not provide monetary compensation.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a resume and letter of interest (no longer than one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Open Hands Law Student Intern Application” in the subject line of the e-mail. For spring and summer 2016, one position is available. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.