Please take a look at the position we have open and share with friends!
We are seeking an experienced, committed Development and Communications Director with a passion for justice to oversee our fundraising and communications strategies
DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Open Hands Legal Services, a Christian, legal services, non-profit organization, is seeking applicants for the part-time position of Development and Communications Director. Open Hands’ mission is to faithfully respond to God’s call to seek justice and defend the rights of the poor by providing free legal services to low-income New Yorkers.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development and Communications Director is responsible for all fundraising, development and communication activities. S/he serves as a key team member and active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Open Hands. This position will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for cultivating philanthropic support of Open Hands and will build Open Hands’ visibility, impact and financial resources.
The successful candidate is someone who thinks strategically and engages his or her work with flexibility, excellence and the highest standards. S/he is a professing Christian who is deeply committed to Open Hands’ mission and values and acts always as an ambassador of our work.
Duties of the Development and Communications Director
The Development and Communications Director will have an evolving role dependent on the needs of the organization. Responsibilities include the following:
Donor Development and Fundraising
- Enhance overarching strategy for resource development to methods that will increase foundation and corporate partnerships, individual giving and in-kind donations.
- In conjunction with Board of Directors and Executive Director, establish yearly fundraising target amounts and work to achieve those goals.
- Oversee and execute all fundraising activities, including grant research and writing, corporate sponsorships, in-kind donations, the annual benefit and other charitable events.
- Cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and actively cultivate lower level donors to increase giving levels.
- Implement and execute a high-quality donor experience through correspondence, donor engagement, volunteer engagement, mailings and acknowledgements.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Young Professionals Network and Board of Directors to execute all fundraising events, including the annual Spring Benefit.
- Identify and cultivate foundation grantors and corporate sponsors.
- Research and submit grant requests which would benefit and enhance the ministry's programs.
- Manage an organized filing system of past and future grants and grant reports.
- Develop and lead communications and public relations strategies to promote Open Hands’ key messages to funders and the public.
- ·Create, design and distribute regular e-newsletters and other regular communications to Open Hands’ funders and the public.
- Design, implement and analyze a social media and web-presence plan as well as website content.
- Believe in the Apostles’ Creed and attend a Christian church.
- Bachelor's Degree (advanced degree preferred).
- An entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm for working in an expanding non-profit organization.
- 5+ years of development experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Strategic and creative leader and self-starter.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience with web development, HTML newsletters, graphic design, and desktop publishing.
- Sense of urgency and passion for Open Hands’ mission and vision.
- This position will start as a part-time role (20 - 32 hours/week) with the possibility of moving to a full-time position.
- This position requires evening and weekend meetings and full commitment and support to the Open Hands Legal Services team and community.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com with “Development and Communications Director Application” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.