POSITION DESCRIPTION PART-TIME STAFF ATTORNEY
Open Hands Legal Services seeks a highly dedicated attorney with an interest in direct legal services to the poor to serve as a Staff Attorney. Our vision is the transformation of all lives through the power of justice and hope. Our mission is to uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed in New York City. We bring free legal services directly to community members at host non-profit organizations throughout the city and break down the legal barriers to their success, enabling individuals to flourish and embody the full persons they are intended to be. More information about us is available at www.openhandslegalservices.org.
Under the supervision of Open Hands Legal Services’ Legal Director, the Staff Attorney will oversee regular legal aid desks where he or she will supervise volunteers and provide legal counsel, advice, and representation to low-income individuals facing eviction, termination of public benefits, family law and immigration issues, among other things. The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities will include also case management, litigation and advocacy on behalf of individual clients. Essential duties and responsibilities include: interviewing clients, negotiations with opposing counsel, discovery, motions, and possible appellate work. In addition to carrying their own caseload, the Staff Attorney will work with volunteer attorneys to provide pro bono advocacy and legal services. Other duties may be assigned.
The candidate must have excellent writing, advocacy, communication and organizational skills. Open Hands seeks an attorney with a proven ability to think strategically and creatively about litigation and one that possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and a love for our clients. The ideal candidate is a self-starter that responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility. The ability to take initiative and work independently is critical to this position. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to Open Hands’ mission and values and acts always as an ambassador of our work.
● Attorney and member of NY bar in good standing
● Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
● Minimum of 3 years relevant experience practicing civil legal services, particularly in the area of landlord-tenant law, employment law, public benefits law and/or immigration law.
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Strong leadership skills and ability to supervise teams of volunteers
● Demonstrated concern for the needs and rights of low-income communities
● Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations in a sensitive and professional manner
● Strong entrepreneurial spirit combined with sacrificial service to our clients and team
● Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, handle challenging work, and meet deadlines
● Ability to plan and manage own work, handle a high volume of cases and take initiative is critical
● Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and good humor
● JD from an accredited law school
● A second language – especially Spanish– is strongly preferred
● Hours: approximately 32 hours/week (subject to a potential increase to 40 hours per week)
● This position requires evening and weekend meetings and full commitment and support to the OHLS team and community.
● Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and must be received by January 31, 2018. Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.